Friday, October 9, 2009

3 – Food

True or false: Amanda is a vegetarian. False. I was a vegetarian. However, before leaving on this grand adventure I decided to forego my vegetable diet in order to take full advantage of all the meat meals this continent has to offer. Here’s a list of the three ecua-meals I’ve enjoyed thus far:
1. Potato cream soup and rice with chicken and plantains along with a fresh glass of orange juice. Total cost: $1.90 (US)
2. Shrimp soup and rice with shrimp and plantains along with a glass of quaker (don’t ask what it is cause I don’t know. I just drank it). The shrimp in the soup were so fresh I think they were probably just taken right out of the water and placed in my bowl. The fun part of eating the soup was fishing the shrimp out by their long antennas, ripping off their heads, and peeling off their skin and legs. I just love finger food. Total cost of this succulent feast: $1.70 (US)
3. Last, but certainly not least a meal consisting of all the best traditional foods Ecuador has to offer. I present to you LA BANDERA:
a. Cebiche de camaron – Kind of like a shrimp salsa
b. Seco de chivo – Goat
c. Guatita – Cow stomach. I did some research and found out that the honeycomb-like part of the stomach that I consumed is the second chamber of the stomach and is called the reticulum. I wonder how my stomach feels about having stomach inside it
d. Salchicha – Rice and cow blood cooked until they stick together and then put into a sausage type casing.


A picture of guatita

Now some people may be scared off by these carnivorous masterpieces, but not me. I was able to stomach it. Hahahaha.

6 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry. Wish i could be there and enjoy the feast with you. Love you loads, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was with you until the cow stomach...

    Sounds delicious otherwise and it sounds like you're having a great time! Can't wait to hear more.

    Sorry we couldn't catch up b/4 you left - things have been kind of a nightmare in my life since March. When I see you next I'll give you the whole sordid update. Until then, I'll watch for your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently just had some cow intestines at an Asian fast food type of place. Equally mysterious! That goat looks delicious btw. Kind of curry-like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are far braver than I am.

    Meals 1 & 2 sound delicious though!

    ReplyDelete